What is Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy?
Ketamine has been used safely as an FDA-approved anesthetic medicine for decades. This medicine is now used as a treatment for various mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, addiction, PTSD, and existential crisis. Ketamine affects the neurotransmitter known as Glutamate, increasing communication in the brain and new neural pathways may develop. It has the ability to disrupt negative feelings and create new, healthier patterns. Ketamine is relational and uses the ketamine experience as an agent for personal growth and change. KAP combines the use of low dose ketamine with talk therapy to enhance neuroplasticity, helping people to process trauma and manage symptoms. Each person's experience is unique, and the approach will be tailored to the individual.
What is a KAP session like?
KAP IS A THERAPEUTIC EXPERIENCE. YOU WILL BE SUPPORTED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SESSION. yOUR GOALS AND INTENTIONS WILL BE DISCUSSED BEFORE RECEIVING THE MEDICINE. aS YOU DEEPEN INTO THE EXPERIENCE, YOU MAY BE SILENT OR YOU MAY VERBALIZE WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING. tHIS STATE HAS BEEN DESCRIBED AS "FLOATING" OR "TRANSFORMATIONAL".While many people find the experience peaceful, it is possible some challenges could arise. with the support of your guide, these challenges can be managed. wHEN YOU COME OUT OF THIS STATE, THE SESSION WILL GO INTO INTEGRATION PHASE, AND TOGETHER YOU AND YOUR THERAPIST WILL PROVIDE VALUABLE CONTEXT FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE.
THE STEPS OF KAP
1. Exploring KAP: We will discuss what KAP is and if it could be the
right fit for you. If we both agree, I will refer you to a provider who can
prescribe the medicine. Once filled at the pharmacy, they can ship it
directly to you.
2. Medical Assessment: A medical healthcare professional will meet with you to see if Ketamine is appropriate and will prescribe the medicine.
3. Preparation Sessions: we will meet to discuss the process and to address any concerns you might be having. We will go over goals, intentions, and fears.
4. KAP Session: this will last 2-3 hrs and will include preparation, medicine, and some integration. Your guide will be with you the entire time. You will feel the medicine for about 50 minutes. Once you slowly come out of the medicine space, we will process the experience together.
5. Integration Sessions: the next sessions are focused on processing the experince, and gaining clarity or insight.
Trainings & Certificates in Psychedelic Psychotherapy
* Fluence: Premise and Promise Psychedelic Integration
* Psychedelic Somatic Institute Certification Level 3
* Polaris KAP Certification
* Psychedelics Today: Ketamine and Trauma Treatment
* Psychedelic Assisted Therapy Global Summit
* Soul Care Certification with Suzi Lula & Soul Care/Spiritual Psychology Mastery (2 years of study)
While all of these professional trainings assist me in being qualified to do this work, it's my deepest belief that our greatest credential is our own inner work and transformation. It's important to find a guide who has walked the path themselves.